Thursday, September 12, 2013

Truck Driver's Job Description - What They Don't Tell You

It’s funny how life experiences and events can drastically alter our perspectives.

This morning I was headed to work, and saw a familiar blue tractor trailer that my dad spent the better part of 8 years driving. Inside the cab was a man who didn’t look to be any older than I am. Part of me wanted to chase him down and beg him to listen to my dad’s story. I wanted to save his family from the heartbreak and heartache of that job.

Don’t get me wrong – I have a lot of respect for those people driving those big rigs. Without them we wouldn’t have groceries, new cars, clothes, medicines and just about everything else. They move freight from across the country just so we can have bananas from wherever they come from, or strawberries from California. They serve an important purpose. But that job it so….unglamourous. Sure, they get to see the country, and witness so many breathtaking views, but they also spend their life exhausted and so many of them put their health on the back burner just to make a living.

My dad was one of them. 2 massive heart attacks at 52. Early retirement. Living off of disability because he can never work again. Chronic health problems. Disrupted sleep patterns. General unhappiness at being forced to give up on the future he and my mom had planned.

I wanted to chase that young man down and tell him to get plenty of rest. And as awesome as truck stop food is to swap out the greasy cheeseburger for a salad and grilled fish every now and then. To get some exercise; walk around the truck stop, do sprints the length of your truck and trailer. Don’t smoke. Ever. My father lives on oxygen and will for the rest of his life because of emphysema and other breathing issues because of smoking. He can’t even walk from the living room to the bathroom without getting winded. Avoid the energy drinks. When your body is that tired that it needs a stimulant to keep going, it’s trying to tell you to rest, so you don’t wear it out too early.

I realize that he could have the “not me” attitude that so many people have, myself included. I never believed I would be touched by infertility, yet here I am.

That truck driver lifestyle will kill you. It will destroy your family. Your wife will cave under the stress and quit taking care of herself. She’ll fall into a depression because of the lack of money and will rarely leave the house. Her health will suffer. And your kids. They will realize that their parents aren’t immune to old age and dying. They will look to the future and wonder what you’ll be around to see. Your grand kids will wonder if you will see them graduate from high school. Wedding day's. The birth of their first child. Will you live long enough for the kids to remember Poppy? Of course, if you don’t take advantage of the wake up call they will wonder if you’ll still be around in 3 years to see them graduate from college or whether or not you’ll even be able to walk into the arena if you are still around.

We only get so many chances. At some point parts fail, body’s wear out, and suddenly that heart healthy diet doesn’t look so bad in the grand scheme of things. I wanted to tell that truck driver that no job is worth losing your health for. I wanted to tell him how short life is, and how quickly things can change. I wanted to remind him that there are people who love him, and would grieve his untimely demise. He doesn’t want to be 56 and rely on his parents still. He wants to provide for his family, he wants to be there for all those big moments and for the little moments too.

I want to remind him that it’s not too late to make sure that he doesn’t end up like my father. His family will thank him. Too bad I can’t slip him a pair of my dad’s shoes and let him walk a mile, or to the bathroom in them. Too bad we can’t slip everyone those shoes – imagine the world we would live in if we could all take a minute to not be so wrapped up in our own little world that we remember how to sympathize.

Thank a truck driver today, and pray for their health, and their families. They will thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment